2007-07-04

Toskala's New Contract

Chris says:

So the Leafs have resigned Toskala to a two year extension on his current contract.

Just in time for Pogge to take over the reins.

Which means, by my count, we've got one to many starting goalies. At best, we're in a platooning scenario with Toskala and Raycroft splitting the duties. Realistically? Someone is warming the bench.

I think the Leafs are going to give Raycroft a very short leash this year. The first goalie to go on a hot streak has won himself the starter's role and the other guy is officially backup. I think this may be the Leaf's way of letting him know his days are numbered. Great White Hope in 06, Yesterday's man in 07.

S'gotta be a tough blow when you're dealing with million dollar salaries and the prestige of being a number one starter.

They jury's out for now. I haven't seen Toskala play enough to make a call on him either way. But I do know that I watched Raycroft let in enough soft goals over the stretch to wear my loyalty to him pretty thin.

Steve says:

Raycroft will be traded. We will get rid of his 2mil cap hit and replace him with Cujo at 800K.
If JFJ keeps Raycroft around, it will be a mistake. That's way too much to pay a bench warmer, and with Toskala in place, that is exactly what Raycroft will be.
Cujo has expressed an interest in returning to Toronto even if it means a reduction in salary. As much as I don't like Raycroft, his #'s are slightly better than Cujo's and when it comes down to it, that means more. The fans want Cujo. His price is better. He has experience. But I can't help but wonder if Raycroft is designed to be a platooning goalie. Maybe we just played him too much last year.
I don't think we'll get the chance to see..I bet he'll be gone by summer's end.

No comments: