2007-06-29

Free Agents 2007

Chris says:

Come Sunday the Free Agent market is open for business. Given what's gone down in Leaf Nation over the last couple of weeks I think it's pretty safe to say that we won't be looking to spend any money on Defense or Goal tending.

So it's Forwards for us, (preferably one able to find the back of the net with some consistency).

After the Toskala\Bell trade we've lost a bit of wiggle room in our pocket book, although I still believe it's worth shopping around McCabe's contract and see who shows interest. Let's see what big names we might like to see wearing a Leaf Jersey this winter.

Ryan Smyth.

It seems like every team under the sun wants to get there hands on this guy and I don't think the Leafs are any different. Personally, I like the idea. With Sundin looking to hang up his skates in the next year or two I think we need to look outside the organization for the next person to wear the C. I think Smyth could be our man. However, if a bidding war erupts I don't think our pockets will be deep enough to land him.

Paul Kariya.

Let's face it. The Preds are holding a fire sale right and probably won't fight very hard to keep him.

Todd Bertuzzi.

There aren't enough syllables in the word No to describe the "Hell No"ness of my answer. He's not the same player of old and I'll be honest I don't like the baggage he brings to the game.

Owen Nolan.

Been there. Done that. Bought the T-Shirt. Pass.

Alexi Yashin.

Steve and I had a debate as to whether or not we should bring Yashin to T.O. if the opportunity presented itself. In the end Yashin's output has fallen off as of late and the crap attitude he brings to the locker room isn't worth the chance he may rediscover how to score goals.

Chris Drury\ Daniel Briere.

I don't think Buffalo can keep both of these guys. I wouldn't cry a tear if either one ended up with the Leafs. Both played well this year and I remember them giving us a rough time whenever the two clubs met up. Either one would probably be more affordable then Smyth if the opportunity arose to sign them. Not a consolation prize, just a signing more in tune with our pocketbook.

Steve says:

The cap was announced to be 50.3mil for this season which means that even if we don't dump anybody, we have roughly $6mil left to spend which should be enough to get us someone decent.
IMO we should go after Kariya. I used to be 100% in favour of getting Smyth, but it looks like NYI are going to throw a boatload of cash at him...somewhere in the range of $7mil/ and a 7-8 year contract...CRAZY!
I would still be happy with Smyth, but he would have to be crazy not to take that $ at this point in his career.

No to Bertuzzi, Nolan, Yashin. No reasoning needed.

Briere declined on the offer from the Sabres...so that might turn into something good...
He would be a welcome youthful addition.

I cant wait to see the bidding wars and watch how they unfold. Too bad we didn't get Muclker signed on by now...he might be a good guy to have holding the hand of JFJ through this oh so important time.

No comments: